Hello Rick,

>Do you think that it would be possible for some hams to develop
>something similar, or better yet, follow the MIL-STD specifications so
>that we have future continued interoperability?
I think PCALE and MARSAle have also integered the 110A mode. I hope thay are
interoperable with RFSM (?) for at least a common part.
However as far as I know the 110A specifications just describe the way to send
messages. It is not described:
* the way to do the equalizer (everyone does the best possible) on the receiver
part,
* the protocol to work in an ARQ mode way.

>Do you have any idea why they use such a high baud rate all the time,
>even when sending the more robust slow speed data and use multiple
>repetitions?
They use the same modulation: 2400 bauds 8ary PSK all the time, so to recognize
any change of speed or interleaving length (given in the preamble).
Of course you cannot have very good minimum S/N even at 75 bauds with such a
high speed (minimum S/N must be >=0 and depends on the bit rate selection), but
reversely you can go up to a bit rate of 4800 bits/sec...
I suppose that the implicite specifications are a very good throughput with a
not too bad S/N.

>While the MIL-STD does provide for multi-tone as well as single tone, it
>appears that most development has been for the single tone, therefore
>there must be a logical reason for this.
The single tone is the basic choice, multitones schemes are only options.

>I still don't comprehend why this concept is so good compared with
>multi-tone modems. In fact, some of the information I have been able to
>find, does have the multi-tone slower baud rate perform better than
>single tone high baud rate in some cases. But often it is supposedly
>very close.
For the same mean HF power, I think the multi-tone must be better because the
speed is low and you don't need an equalizer. The equalizer cannot have a
perfect performance because the ionospheric transfer function can be identified
only approximatively and the function is not strictly stationary between two
known data transmissions.

>Is the reduced crest factor the main advantage for the single tone? Is it
>around 1.0?
I don't see anything about some windowing in the 110A specifications so the
crest factor is 1, when, for the multitone, it is very bad (around 0.1or 0.2
depending on the number of tones).

>What would happen if a slower baud rate were used with a single tone modem,
>instead of the high baud rate? (Of course it would not be MIL-STD anymore).
The idea would be good but of course we will have an exchange between bit rate
and minimum S/N qualities: the minimum S/N would be better and the bit rate
smaller.
But I think 2 tones would be also good: it would permit to double the bit rate,
each tone being a channel for the convolutionnal coding. The crest factor
factor would be 0.5 without windowing and around 0.35 with a windowing.
If you would set your transceiver to the maximum (100 watts) you would supply
35 watts to the antenna, which is sufficient for a continuous working. HW?

73
Patrick

  As you know the Russian RFSM developers have adapted MIL-STD-188-110A
  (maybe even more advanced than that?) as a software modem. It apparently
  took a large programming effort to do this.