It appears that there has been no change to the peer to peer support in
the RMSpacket. I know that when I brought this up a few years ago, the
programmer was adamant that they not have peer to peer support in
Telpacs because it was strictly designed to be a simple internet telnet
to packet connection. The concern that others expressed at the time was
that most potential or casual users would need to learn several
different and rather complicated systems (packet is extremely
complicated compared to other modes), and would be very risky for
emergency use when you just want it to work. Airmail 2000 has been the
program of choice for many who have selected packet as their main VHF
mode of data transport and if we ever had enough hams to get involved
with packet for emergency use, I would have to recommend that direction
for now.

The reason some are focusing exclusively on Winlink 2000 is that they
want one solution, believe (incorrectly according to my Division
Director) that Winlink 2000 is THE solution "and no other" from the
ARRL, and consider the majority  of emergency hams to be of limited
knowledge, particularly with the large number of new Technician class
hams who have a large learning curve and can not operate HF so will only
be using VHF packet for digital.

But is it possible to have enough radio amateurs who are involved with
emergency communications who can actually use all these different modes
and systems? I know that in our area it is not possible, but in heavily
populated areas you might be able to build a core group. That is how it
has been explained to me by some proponents of Winlink 2000.

With the advances of digital modes, packet is not very robust and can
not tolerate weak signals, thus for those of us looking forward, there
may be better approaches such as NBEMS which can work with very weak
signals and do it with sound card modes that are low cost. I don't know
of anyone in our Section using ALE for signaling but I know of some ops
who are using an 80 meter HF packet store and forward system with what
seems to be very poor results based upon the number of retries. The ALE
modulation, particularly the FAE400 mode, may be a far better choice,
especially if a BBS type system were developed as VE5MU mentioned recently.

In ALL cases, we must not lose sight of the fact that you must always
have phone (voice) communications available in emergencies. Digital data
plays a much smaller secondary role. To show you how absurd it can get,
in our Section we have "Digital Communications Coordinator" who actually
believes that having hams "check in" to his Winlink 2000 VHF only PMBO
via RF or even via the internet is somehow an emergency amateur radio net.

Needless to say, the Winlink 2000 (and earlier Winlink/Netlink/Aplink)
systems have been around for decades, so this is nothing new. But what
is new are the changing faces of new hams coming in and the loss of
others who may have the most experience. So on going activities are
never ending.

I am very skeptical that using government funding will help a lot in
developing networks with active and motivated operators. I really
believe that history has shown the reverse. When radio amateurs see a
value in a particular mode or system, they will support it as they
overwhelmingly did with packet. Even HF Pactor was once popular (as was
Amtor) but those days are gone as sound card modes really are the main
direction that most of us digital operators have taken and trying to
buck that trend may be counterproductive.