> In ALL cases, we must not lose sight of the fact that you must always
> have phone (voice) communications available in emergencies. Digital data
> plays a much smaller secondary role. To show you how absurd it can get,
> in our Section we have "Digital Communications Coordinator" who actually
> believes that having hams "check in" to his Winlink 2000 VHF only PMBO
> via RF or even via the internet is somehow an emergency amateur radio net.

This is an important point and one of the reasons that we recommend 2 meters
for NBEMS whenever it is feasible, because on 2 meters, you can mix voice
and data on the same frequency.

In addition, although we are improving NBEMS support on HF with a new
static-robust mode (soon to be released), 2 meters is still the band of
choice for fastest transfers and dependable point-to-point circuits.

73, Skip KH6TY
NBEMS Development Team