Hi Peter,

I have not had hardware RS232C ports for a number of years and have used
the USB to RS232 adapters with some success. The main issue is having a
driver from your OS for that particular adapter. Older legacy adapters
may not have drivers.

There are newer adapters that work out the box with Vista ... just plug
and play. This is easier than requiring installation of drivers from a
disk which may be necessary with older OS's such as WinXP. I tend to
look at this technology with public service/emergency use always in the
back of my mind and ask the question, "Will this thing work if I don't
have access to the internet or to special software installations?"

I recently purchased a Tigertronics SignaLinkUSB interface which has the
advantage of ease of installation for portable and emergency use since
it gets audio lines and power from the USB port with one cable to the
computer and then another cable to the rig. The built in sound card does
seem to transmit quite a bit of noise ((sounds like computer leakage)
but mine may be defective when you consider that one of the selling
points is that it is supposed to have very clean audio. The keying time
with the shortest delay adjustment is rated at 30 msec which seems to
work OK for asynchronous ARQ. WinXP required some installation of
drivers as it found the device. No installation disk was needed. Win98
would need the supplied disk with special drivers. Vista just works.

As an experiment, I have been running tests with fldigi and other
programs between two computers and two rigs here in the shack to learn
more about the ARQ capabilities of the NBEMS suite.

- The ICOM 756 Pro 2 uses the very low cost Unified Microsystems SCI-6
interface for audio lines and can key PTT through an optoisolator for
programs that do not provide rig control. This requires a USB to RS-232C
adapter. Then for rig control, I use the West Mountain RigTalk USB
interface. If the program (e.g., fldigi) provides rig control, then you
don't need the PTT control on the SCI-6 and avoids the need for a USB
port for the adapter.

- The ICOM IC-7000, which is intended more for portable deployment, is
using the SignaLinkUSB without rig control.

Both methods of interfacing seems to work well for the switching speeds
we normally use for our multimode digital programs. It would be very
difficult to work well with synchronous ARQ modes that have a short
window, but anyone developing modern, ham friendly sound card ARQ modes
would take that into consideration with todays computers and design
accordingly.