  From: expeditionradio
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 6:51 PM
  Subject: [digitalradio] Signalink No Good for ARQ Modes

  > Sholto Fisher wrote:
  > Bonnie and all,
  > I use the SignalLink SL-1+ (older version, not USB)
  > for ARQ modes successfully. I use MultiPSK and the
  > ARQ modes I have tested and had
  > working are: ALE 141A, ALE400, Pax/Pax2 and Packet.

  Hi Sholto,

  The fact that you were able to make contacts
  with ARQ using Signalink is not an indicator
  that it is good for ARQ.

  In ALE, with the Signalink, you would absolutely
  not be transmitting the first group of symbols of
  each transmission. The Signalink timing just isn't
  sufficient to do the job. The errors in your
  transmission may have been corrected by FEC or ARQ.

  But, your empirical evidence of "success" is more
  an indicator of the good redundancy and Forward Error
  Correction of the robust mode, rather than success for
  the Signalink :)

  73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA

  .