Mark Thompson wrote:
> http://www.popular-communications.com/PC%20Highlights%20Sept%2008.html
> TECH SHOWCASE
> The SignaLink USB Interface—A Plug-And-Play Solution For Digital
> Communications Modes
> by John Kasupski, KC2HMZ
>
> Anyone who has experimented with receiving digital format signals by radio
> has undoubtedly experienced one or more of the difficulties that typically
> arise when you set out to decode digital signals using a radio and computer.
> Your sound card is incompatible with your software, or you don’t want it tied
> up doing digital decoding. You have more than one radio you want to use and
> don’t want to have to buy or build separate interfaces for each. Or perhaps
> you just don’t want to pay a fortune for all the software you need in order
> to decode the numerous digital modes that exist (with new ones seemingly
> being invented daily). If this is the situation you’ve found yourself in,
> you’ll find this article to be just what the doctor ordered.
> Earlier this year, I purchased a SignaLink USB interface (Photo A) from
> Tigertronics in Grants Pass, Oregon. This device, which costs less than some
> of the competing commercially available radio/computer interfaces ($104.95 if
> ordered with a cable to fit Kenwood and ICOM radios using a 13-pin DIN
> accessory port; $99.95 for everybody else), not only interfaces your computer
> to any radio, it also contains its own built-in USB sound card. That means
> that the sound card already in your computer is left free for whatever else
> you want to do with it.
>
> How It Works And What You Get
> The SignaLink USB connects to your computer’s USB port and is powered from
> the USB port so that no external power source is needed. All the necessary
> cables come with the device, including the USB cable, the cable to interface
> the SignaLink USB to your radio, and a mono cable to connect to radios that
> don’t have receive audio on the mic or accessory jack. Additional cables can
> be ordered if you have more than one radio and they don’t use the same cable.
> The mono cable can be used to connect the SignaLink USB to an external
> speaker jack on a scanner or shortwave receiver, or if using a transceiver,
> the connection is made using the radio cable. This can be accomplished using
> a connection to a 4-pin round, 8-pin round, RJ-11, or RJ-45 mic connector, or
> you may instead order the radio cable to connect to a data or accessory port
> that uses a 5-pin DIN, 8-pin DIN, 13-pin DIN, or 6-pin mini-DIN connector. An
> un-terminated cable for radios that use a different type of connector is also
> available in case you have an unusual situation, such as wanting to build a
> cable for a handheld radio.
> Also included with the device is a set of jumper wires that simply push into
> a socket on the SignaLink USB’s circuit board. A software CD is also included
> [...]
I am sorta hesitant to enter this thread, so I will simply make the
suggestion that the "noise" in the original post is not noise, but
rather it is interference, i.e. signals caused by the electronics in the
unit and not from external sources.

Please excuse this interruption....

Chuck AA5J

<*> Your email settings: