Thanks, Simon! It makes sense that if the "native" speed is 48K, any
other speed would require some type of "conversion".

One more question, if I can impose on your good nature!

What impact, if any, does the error in sampling rate have on any
TX/RX offset? During the Tara Rumble I noticed that almost every
station that responded to my CQ, came back a bit lower in frequency
than mine. One station I responded to even told me I was off-
frequency. I don't believe my IC-746 has any offset, and my RIT/XIT
was off. Does that large error rate of 6984 ppm create an offset, and
can I determine how great it is?

Tnx es 73
Dave KB3MOW

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Brown \(KNS\)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It means that the drivers are better - the internal clock runs at
48kHz,
> other rates are created by either the driver or (very often)
Windows.
> Windows XP does not do a good job of this, VISTA however is
excellent at
> converting the sample rates.
>
> Simon Brown, HB9DRV
> www.ham-radio-deluxe.com