Hi John.

> 1. I noticed that although most PSK31 signals I receive are showing
> the two phase positions as displayed on the scope at 180 degrees,
> some are consistently at less angle than that, typically down to
> about 135 degrees. When I say consistently I mean it is obviously not
> just a momentary shift due to propagation as one can see with DX or
> QRMed signals. Is this related to the difference in calibration
> between the sound cards?

Yes

> 2. In the case of PSK31 how much does mis-calibration really affects
> the reception? Does it result in a simple an increase percentage of
> mis-decoded characters when propagation/QRM creates unwanted phase
> shifts?

In case of PSK31 it depends on the implementation of the decoder
algorithm. Uncalibrated clock will cause phase shift to be different
from 180 grades, which adds some uncertainity to decoded bit value.

But uncalibrated clock will also negatively influence decoder ability
to bit synchronize. I remember optimizing PocketDigi PSK31 decoder for
best SNR. One of my optimizations was decreasing speed of PSK31
decoder clock synchronization. One does not want a single noise spike
to have much influence. I was very surprised, when I found that my
decoder did not work at all when the sound card clock was 1% off.

> 3. Which modes are the most / least sensitive to sound cards
> calibration differences? My guest is that in the least category we
> should find the psk and ifsk (e.g. Domino) modes and in the most
> sensitive category MFSK modes. Is that a correct assesment?

Least sensitive will be CW and RTTY, which are asynchronous modes.
Narrow spaced multitone modes (MFSK, Olivia, Contestia, Throb, Domino)
will have problems if the tone scale is stretched or shrinked against
the decoder bins caused by sound card clock error. Also the same
applies here as at 2). Ability to bit synchronize if the sound card
clock is off depends on the implementation of the decoder algorithm
and is usually a compromise between SNR ability, time to synchronize
and sensitivity to clock difference between modulator and demodulator.

73, Vojtech OK1IAK