Tony,

Static crash resistance is not the only parameter to consider. The problem is
that you can have static and weak signals at the same time. MT63-1000 has a -5
dB minimum S/N, but MFSK16 has a -13.5 dB minimum S/N, so the static tests you
made must be at signal levels high enough that MT63-1000 decodes, which may not
be a realistic level.

Last summer, during the lightning season in Florida, MFSK16 turned out (after
three months of testing) to be the most static-resistant mode of all, even
surpassing Thor, which we had worked on so hard to harden against static
crashes. However, THOR is tolerant of mistuning, whereas MFSK16 is not, and
MFSK16 needs AFC, which Thor does not, but overall, we concluded that MFSK16
was the best for NBEMS messaging on HF unless conditions (QSB and QRN) were
such that a faster mode would work.

Of course our tests were to find the best mode for messaging, which has to be a
combination of reasonable speed and minimum S/N, and MT63-2000 is the only MT63
variant that is fast enough to overcome the extreme latency of MT63 and allow
successful ARQ transfers without unreasonable wait times. MT63-1000 is not fast
enough. The problem is that MT63-2000 is 3 dB worse on minimum S/N than
MT63-1000, so the spread in minimum S/N between MT63-2000 and MFSK16 grows to
about 11 dB, which is a LOT!

As you point out, the list of variables is very long, and a mode for one
situation may not work for another. As you observed during the MT63-1000 tests
we made together, MFSK16 would print 80% when MT63-1000 would not print at all,
and Olivia was printing 100% under roughly the same conditions.

There is a resonably acceptable speed for message transfers, with and without
ARQ (ARQ cuts the speed in about half), and a different reasonably acceptable
speed for QSO's, just as JT65A is acceptable for short exchanges, but not so
much for QSO's.

So, for NBEMS, since the primary objective is messaging, on HF we found MFSK16
to be most suitable overall, but on VHF, where there is no static, for instance
on 30m there is little static (where PSKmail operates), PSK250 can be used
instead, when it is impossible to control the static crashes, or even noise, on
the lower HF bands from capturing the AFC and shifting the tuning off frequency
on HF, simply because you need to have AFC for PSK250, and between ARQ
exchanges, there is no signal to lock on, so the AFC locks on a noise burst.

Olivia would be great to use, but takes forever to get a message through, so
the better minimum S/N of Olivia has to be sacrificed for greater speed in
messaging and use MFSK16 instead, and let the ARQ just resend blocks when
necessary. Of course, at some point, enough blocks may be damaged that the link
simply fails or times out. Once you add ARQ to MFSK16, you have a speed of only
about 20 wpm, which is very slow for anything than a very short message, but
the ARQ guarantees error-free reception in return for the slow speed.

Minimum S/N, QSB, QRN, doppler distortion, inter-symbol interference, tolerance
to operator tuning, transceiver frequency stability, minimum necessary
bandwidth, etc. etc., all figure into the decision as to which mode is "best".
"No one shoe fits all", and we can only choose the "best" mode for our
particular mission out of all the many available choices.

73, Skip KH6TY
NBEMS Development Team