Hi Tony and group members,

Based on the use (or non use) of ARQ modes for general ham use, suggests
to me that they are going to be primarily used for messaging. This is
something that we must have for public service/emergency communications,
but there are relatively few who are oriented toward digital modes
(speaking from considerable experience). This is likely due in part to
the use of VHF as the main part of the spectrum used for such
activities. It is actually a very new concept in terms of these newer
technologies (developed in past year or so) that work with weak signals
rather than the older packet systems that required fairly good signals
to work over modest distances. Even so, it is very difficult to get
operators to even try the new technologies because the great majority
are satisfied with only using VHF/UHF phone. Even the zero interface
approach is a hard sell.

Some of us on this group have used FAE400 on HF with success but three
or four users is not enough, HI. Also, in order for new modes to become
practical to use, they must be available on the programs that are being
used. Based on comments from developers, it appears that FAE400 will
only be available on Multipsk and this is more of an experimenters
program rather than one used by public service or the average digital user.

It may not be practical to build a team of operators, whether local or
regional, etc., to use multiple programs where they use one program for
e-mail, another one for packet, another for messaging, another for chat,
etc. That is why I believe that we need one program that has this
capability, and it would need to be simple to use, very basic layout
that is understandable to the average ham. I believe that we are coming
closer and some groups have standardized on certain programs. Even after
we have the "perfect" program (until the next "perfect" one comes
along), it will take an enormous amount of promotion to effect major
changes, HI.

One question for Tony: when you tested the "ALE" mode, was this actually
the FAE mode? As I understand it, the FAE modes (wide 2000 Hz and narrow
400 Hz modes) are considerably faster than the older ALE modes due to
improved compression, even though they use the same 8FSK modulation. And
they are more sensitive, plus the memory ARQ feature of FAE adds
additional weak signal capability.

Moderator, HFDEC (Hams for Disaster and Emergency Communications) yahoogroup