>  The advantage of ALE-400 ARQ is the error-free throughput.
>
> Just FYI.
>
> Tony -K2MO

However, if ALE-400 ARQ is getting through with error free throughput,
what are the chances that Olivia or Thor or some faster mode is
getting through with much faster throughput and a only a few errors ?
Other than a wider bandwidth, the other mode may turn out more
efficient.    If using something like Olivia , and my received text
from K2MO looks like this on my screen

K3Uk de KMO  .  OK Andy az rey6fs  OK and you h6tajl holding steyy.
Do you want to QSY to 14x8h ?

and via ALE400 ARQ it looks like

K3Uk de K2MO  .  OK Andy all received OK and your signal holding
steady.  Do you want to QSY to 14077 ?

Then the keyboarding  will be worth the ARQ investment.  Now that RS
ID is becoming de rigeur ,  ARQ methods in Multipsk, WINMOR, and
FLDIGI common place , and your path simulations are becoming a
standard reference among  digital mode enthusiasts, I'm waiting for a
development where some sort of hand shake or RS-ID initiation at the
beginning of a QSO establishes the current SNR.  Then on your screen
up pops a messages that says...

"based on the SNR of -11dB THOR11 is recommended, do you want to switch " ?

or

"based on the SNR of -15dB PSKAM10  is recommended, do you want to switch " ?

In the middle of a keyboard QSO, if the conditions change, a setting
might allow an automatic mode change based on a RSID signal... if both
stations are using RS ID.

Andy K3UK