It will be spread spectrum if the tone frequencies are controlled by a code as explained in the ROS documentation:

"A system is defined to be a spread-spectrum system if it fulfills the following requirements: 1. The signal occupies a bandwidth much in excess of the minimum bandwidth necessary to send the information. 2. Spreading is accomplished by means of a spreading signal, often called a code signal, which is independent of the data. 3. At the receiver, despreading (recovering the original data) is accomplished by the correlation of the received spread signal with a synchronized replica of the spreading signal used to spread the information. Standard modulation schemes as frequency modulation and pulse code modulation also spread the spectrum of an information signal, but they do not qualify as spread-spectrum systems since they do not satisfy all the conditions outlined above.

Note that all three conditions must be met to be considered spread spectrum. I don;t know if it would be possible to send the data in less bandwidth, but, for example, PSK31 accomplishes the same typing speed in a bandwidth of 31 Hz, instead of in 2000 Hz, so ROS is probably truly spread-spectrum.

Remember that spread spectrum was conceived as a way of coding transmissions so they could not be intercepted and decoded. In fact actress Hedy Lamarr invented spread spectrum, and you can read that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr. The difference is the use of a code to spread the data and signals to avoid detection and monitoring by those without the same code.

Download the documentation from www. rosmodem.wordpress.com and read about spread spectrum and the ROS implementation. That will make it clear I think. Remembering that a single tone creates a single RF carrier makes it easy to see how just about anything can be done with tones, including sending data over several tones at once so if one carrier is lost, others carry the same data, or using a psuedo-random code to determine the carrier frequencies, as I think is done in ROS.

That documentation also explains the difference between FHSS and modes like MFSK16. However, a main point is that the data does not have to be scattered over such a wide bandwidth to achieve communication, but ROS does, so it qualifies as spread spectrum.

If you have a receive bandwith of 10,000 Hz, and you spread over that bandwidth, you really are using way more bandwidth than necessary to send the same data at a given speed. MT63 uses 64 carriers with the data divided among the carriers for redundancy and about 40% of the signal can be obilterated by QRM and still produce good copy. I think the difference with ROS is that the carrier frequencies are varied according to a code, instead of being at a fixed position, but I am no expert on modes, so someone else can probably explain it better and with more accuracy.

Generally it is qualifies as spread spectrum if a code is used for the spreading, and in military communications (and even cell phones, I think) the code prevents anyone else from reconstructing the signal so that the intelligence can be recovered if they do not possess the same code.

73 - Skip KH6TY

John wrote:
Thanks Skip,

Unfortunately, this really does not get to the crux of my question(s). I understand how an SSB transmitter works, but that is not really what I am after.

What I am driving at is if like this. If I use DM780 to run some version of digital mode via an SSB transceiver, it uses a tone or series of tone modulation/shifting to create the output of the transmitter, and not one single mode is called "spread spectrum" output, but is called FSK or PSK, etc. Now, we get into the aforementioned discussion regarding ROS, and suddenly, still via the microphone input of the same transmitter, those shifted frequencies are now called "spread spectrum" instead. I am having a great deal of difficulty understanding, other than the author happened to call his scheme "spread spectrum" in his technical documentation.

Thanks ....

John
KE5HAM