No, the shift on RTTY and other soundcard modes is not determined by a pseudo random code but always known and predictable. Instead, the tones on ROS are driven by a code signal. To quote from the ROS documentation, "2. Spreading is accomplished by means of a spreading signal, often called a code signal, which is independent of the data."

The original intent of spread spectrum was to make it impossible to monitor without possessing the despreading code, but ROS can be monitored.

There is a good chance that the FCC will allow us to use ROS on HF - why not! But as the rules are written right now, ROS is FHSS - by design, and it does not matter if the description is changed or not, so it is necessary to get a waiver or other FCC agreement that we can use it on HF. ROS can be copied by third parties, and is no wider than a phone signal, so I cannot think of any reason the FCC would decline, but they have to give permission. That is just the way it works, because that is how the rules happen to have been written in the past.

If the spreading is NOT actually "accomplished by means of a spreading signal, often called a code signal, which is independent of the data" then ROS is not spread spectrum and there is no problem.

73 - Skip KH6TY

jhaynesatalumni wrote:

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com <mailto:digitalradio%40yahoogroups.com>, "John" <ke5h...@...> wrote:

> Thanks Skip,
>
> Unfortunately, this really does not get to the crux of my question(s). I understand how an SSB transmitter works, but that is not really what I am after.
>
> What I am driving at is if like this. If I use DM780 to run some version of digital mode via an SSB transceiver, it uses a tone or series of tone modulation/shifting to create the output of the transmitter, and not one single mode is called "spread spectrum" output, but is called FSK or PSK, etc. Now, we get into the aforementioned discussion regarding ROS, and suddenly, still via the microphone input of the same transmitter, those shifted frequencies are now called "spread spectrum" instead. I am having a great deal of difficulty understanding, other than the author happened to call his scheme "spread spectrum" in his technical documentation.

That's a good question. If we run RTTY with 850 Hz shift like we
did in the old days, has that turned into spread spectrum?