Andy,

Nice laptop - wish I had one of those! The mini Acer runs ok with DM780 and Multipsk, but the eyes do get a tired of looking at the tiny fonts. The battery lasts a long time though so that's a plus.

Speaking of batteries, I can usually get 2 hours of air time out of the FT-897D and it's twin 4500 mAh batteries. The setup works well, but I'm sure there are cheaper / better ways to get the most bang for the buck.

The PY1AHD Alexloop continues to amaze me; working Europeans QRP with a hand-held loop that's only 3 feet in diameter is something only a ham would appreciate. It turned out to be a pretty good multi-band alternative to portable dipoles and verticals.

I recorded a short video of the first CW DX contacts with the loop back in August 2009. It was right before a contest so the big guns were out in force.

See -- http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/83698345/file.html

I'll record some digital mode videos this weekend; the weather is supposed to be nice so I should get some backyard portable air time.

Tony -K2MO