On 5/1/2010 6:19 AM, Andy obrien wrote:

Nice video Tony, amazing little antenna!

Thanks Andy...

I was wondering if you had a particular portable rig in mind? I could be wrong, but it seems there are only 3 battery powered HF rigs on the market today; the Icom 703, Yaesu 817 and the Yaesu FT-897.

All of them have low current drain for longer battery life. The Icom 703 for example, uses 300ma in standby mode while the 706 uses 1.8 amps. The 703 uses 450ma with the audio set on maximum while the 706 uses 2.0 amps.

I guess it doesn't matter much if the rig requires higher current as long as the external battery pack has enough reserve to give you a few hours of air time. The low current rigs will always get more air time with the same pack though so it's something to consider.

Tony -K2MO