Rein,

You can decide for yourself if ROS is spread spectrum or not, just be observing it with any audio spectrum analyzer, or program like fldigi or Digipan that has a waterfall. Just observe the behavior with data and without data at idle and you will see.

You find that the carriers of the 16 baud and 1 baud variations bear no relationship to the imposed data, but "hop" around randomly - a sure sign of spread spectrum or frequency hopping. Instead in FSK and PSK, the carrier frequencies are fixed and modulated with the data. MFSK16 is a FSK mode and MT63 is a PSK mode (modulation applied to 64 fixed frequencies).

Here is a comparison I made, similar to what you can make yourself: http://home.comcast.net/~hteller/SPECTRUM.JPG

There is indisputable randomness to the ROS tone frequencies, even if you watch it for a long enough time. Applied to modulate a SSB transmitter, the resulting RF frequencies are also indisputably random.

The FCC engineers have performed the same spectral analysis and informed the ARRL that the mode is truly spread spectrum.

ROS now has some more narrow modes added, which I have not inspected, but maybe only the wide 1 baud and 16 baud varieties are spread spectrum, or frequency hopping, and the narrow ones are FSK - I don't know. Even if those narrow modes are not frequency-hopped, they are still grouped under the same umbrella, "ROS", which means any approval of "ROS" for narrowband modes would wind up also approving the wide versions, which have all the appearance of being spread spectrum, or frequency hopped. For this reason, it did not work to include some narrow FSK modes to try to get overall approval by the FCC engineers. In fact it probably was an insult to their intelligence!

The distinction of spread spectrum, or frequency-hopping, is simply that the carrier frequencies are determined independently of the data. Originally this was done in order to encrypt the signal unless you possessed the de-hopping code. It does not matter if the de-hopping code is sent along with the data, or the frequency spread is unusually narrow - frequency hopping is still frequency hopping - and that happens not to be allowed under 222 Mhz in FCC jurisdictions. A petition to modify the regulations can be submitted, but that has not been done, to my knowledge - just repeated attempts to fool the FCC with untruths.

If a SSB transmitter is fed audio tones and the carrier is adequately suppressed, then the output is pure RF at the suppressed carrier frequency plus the individual tone frequency (for USB) and if the tones are frequency-hopped, it makes no difference if the RF generation is by frequency shift of an oscillator or by means of tones - the FCC is only interested in the emitted RF and its behavior. The advantage to frequency hopping, if you have the de-hopping code, is that the noise is random, but the signal has a known autocorrelation function, so integration by looking for the correlation can make the weak signal stand out from the random noise background - something I am sure you are aware of that has been long used in deep space communications.

Splitting off the frequency-hopped modes from the same program that contains the narrow FSK modes might result in approval to use a separate program that has no frequency-hopped modes. The remaining program would only be allowed in the US above 222 Mhz.

73 - Skip KH6TY

Rein A wrote:
Hello All,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmrgJkFY40 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmrgJkFY40>

I found this interesting YouTube video, interesting to me at least.

It is going a to be a big help watching waterfalls at 14.103 kHz and
other channels such as

http://etgd2.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ <http://etgd2.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/>

73 Rein W6SZ