Dave,

The answer to your question is no for MT63, as it is nearly just as wide as ROS 16 baud, but will stop decoding at -8 dB S/N for the 50 wpm mode, Contestia 1000/64 at -13 dB S/N at 30 wpm, and Olivia slower at 15 wpm, but probably around -15 dB S/N. PSK31. PSK31 works down to -11.5 dB S/N at 50 wpm, as a comparison, but is only 31 Hz wide.

The point is that for QSO's (which ROS does), not messaging (what WINMOR does), fast speed is not needed, because people usually cannot type more than around 50 wpm (the design goal for PSK31). For messaging however, you sacrifice minimum S/N for speed. You can get an idea by looking at the 1 baud mode of ROS, which is extremely slow, even for QSO's, but good just for exchanges, like in WSJT or moonbounce. This is where ROS has the greatest potential and where its wide width is not important because there is so much space at 70cm and 23cm. Otherwise, on HF, the same long-distance QSO's can be accomplished in much, much, less bandwidth, and probably just as effectively. I have often worked the South Pole, Japan, Australia, New Zealand with only 900 mw and PSK31 on 20m and the bandwidth was only 50 Hz maximum. If conditions are at all favorable, it does not take much power on the higher HF bands to go around the world.

For UHF, and short exchanges, ROS is probably the best performer in a bandwidth of 2250 Hz, but the speed is very, very, slow. That is why the macros are like WSJT macros. It just takes too long to exchange much more.

There is really no rationale for using ROS 16 baud on HF, as wide as it is, because our ham bands are shared, and spectrum hogs leave no room for others. However, on UHF, there is, and that is where ROS, with SS, is not counter-productive, but has the most promise.

On UHF, we could use ROS, but it does not hold up well under Doppler Spreading, so we have settled on Contestia 1000/64 at 30 wpm as the best performing mode, decoding right down to the noise threshold, when even CW is hard to copy by ear. ROS simply failed to print when Contestia 1000/64 was printing 100%.

Your point is well made, but there is a advantageous application for ROS, and that is on UHF for EME. Up there, it is legal for US hams to use also.

73 - Skip KH6TY

Dave Sparks wrote:
More importantly (to me, at least) is Spread Spectrum the most effective or efficient way of using a given amount of bandwidth to deliver a given data
rate, from a weak signal point of view? IOW, would ROS work better than,
let's say, MT-63, WINMOR, or Olivia if those three modes were adjusted to
use the same bandwidth and data rate as ROS? If it were open source, I
would have included Pactor-3 in that list, too.

If not, then using SS is counter-productive as well as legally problematic.
(I'm not implying that ROS is SS, BTW.)

--
Dave Sparks
AF6AS