Rein,

I said I would not comment further on ROS, but look at it in perspective. The author defined ROS as spread spectrum and produced a two page document to that effect. He is the only one who knows for sure if it is spread spectrum or not.

When it was posted that spread spectrum was not legal below 222 Mhz, he conveniently (for his benefit) tried to redefine ROS as FSK, in an apparent attempt to change the FCC opinion, which originally was based on his own two-page declaration, which he wanted us to believe.

The FCC then made their own analysis and concluded it was not FSK but truly spread spectrum. This was communicated to us by the ARRL as is usually the case.

The author, if he would have disclosed his code, could have proven whether or not the randomization is for spread spectrum purposes or for some other reason, but he steadfastly refused to disclose the code, which would either have resulted in it being OK for us to use, or prove it was truly FHSS. Perhaps he decided to try and bluff the FCC because it would be determined, on the basis of his code, to really be FHSS, in agreement with his first description, and in disagreement with the second description he wrote, obviously just to try to get approval.

It is just not reasonable to think that a person of his ability, as the author of the software, could make such a huge mistake in his first characterization of ROS as spread spectrum and then completely revise the characterization as something else which he knew would be usable by US hams.

You can imagine how the FCC feels about that attempted deception, and to top it off, he posts a phoney statement of FCC approval besides! I seriously doubt that the FCC is going to want to revisit the question, since the author simply cannot be believed. I met Dan Henderson at a hamfest right after all this happened and he had been in contact the FCC, and opined that it was highly doubtful that any further reconsideration would be done.

The ONLY way for us to ever use ROS on HF is to petition the FCC to amend the rules to allow limited spread spectrum below 222 Mhz, citing enough good reasons why it will not harm existing operations of lesser bandwidth.

Instead of constantly arguing that the FCC made a mistake, or we should interpret the rules as we wish they were, I suggest that either a petition be filed, or the code released to prove the author's contention that it is not spread spectrum. Of course the submitted code would have to be recompiled and tested to prove it is really the original code, and another attempted deception by the author.

Understand that I am NOT "against" ROS, and never have been, even though I strongly dislike the author's behavior and suspect his motives. I would keep using it on HF if it were legal for me to do so. I do respect the FCC regulations, even those that I do not like, and follow them as best I can, because in the overall picture, they protect the weak from the strong for the benefit of everyone, until revised in a non-harmful way.

This will be my (final) final word on this subject, so please do not ask me to comment any further.

If you want to use ROS on HF, then enter a petition to get the regulations changed so you can, or work with someone else who will do that for you, and end this endless denigrating of the FCC, ARRL, and others who follow the regulations and depend upon ARRL interpretations of the FCC regulations for us all.

Signing off on ROS now -

73,  Skip KH6TY