I've just read the original post and another thing to consider might be to try
Feld Hell instead of RTTY. You wouldn't need to worry about any frequency shift
that way, just use a simple transistor switch arranged to key the osc/tx from
the audio pulses from the sound card. It would be completely non-linear of
course but at the 1W level I don't think much of a problem but if needed you
could design a filter to round off the edges a little...

Feld Hell is also a lot more sensitive than RTTY and you might actually have
some success at the 1W level...

73

Sholto
K7TMG