Sholto -
I was referring to my design as not being designed for on/off switched, not the
Hell mode itself which of course IS.

Its really not reasonable to expect beginners to ressurrect old dead software
and dead operating systems to get something up and running.  Configuring MMTTY
to toggle the TXD line on a proper serial port is not too difficult.

I doubt if a threshold switch could be made fast enough without more hardware
and design thought applied to it than the simple Tx itself.   However, as most
soundcards go down to a few low tens of Hz in audio bandwidth, I've more than
once thought of using it to directly output a Manchester coded type of waveform
that could be squared up and turned back into a proper digital signal with
probaly no more than a flip-flop.   It might then even be fast enough for RTTY.

Referring to other comments earlier, why do so few datamode programmes provide
I/Q stereo outputs?   Quadrature upconversion is probably the easiest low-end
option for all datamodes, especially if it is done at baseband where the
unwanted image lies on top of itself, causing n QRM.   Image rejection can be
as bad as -20dBc before any problems occur going this route.

Even with an audio carrier, it is not difficult to -40dBc rejection
without too much trimming, and at QRP levels that's not going to be much of an
issue.

I reiterate, its only a few extra lines of code :-)
  chans = 2
  X = AMPL * SIN(~~~
  output left
  Y = AMPL * COS(~~~