There are plenty of project templates out there that offer more
fully-featured starting points. It's generally agreed that's out-of-scope
for the provided startproject template.

But could we make it easier to use environment variables in the default
template? That seems like a reasonable thing to discuss.
Is it now time that Django brings this into the core? (In principle +1, yes)

So the PR <https://github.com/django/django/pull/13029> adds parsing of
environment variable into the correct types, but we already have packages
in the community doing that.
The one that comes to mind is django-configurations (part of Jazzband) —
and there's discussion there of moving the env parsing bit to depend on
django-environ.
Can we bring in the battletest code there, clearing up known niggles,
rather that re-writing something from scratch?

(I'm hoping folks from django-configurations might input here.)

Kind Regards,

Carlton