tMost of the world is not as seamless as heroku.  My DevOps won't give me
any more than a handful of environment variables.  I wanted something like
DATABASE_URL, but all I have is DJANGO_LOG_DIR and DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE,
and so I need many, many settings files. I think that happens a lot, and
maybe a common pattern.

>From a 12factor perspective, I would like to get it down to local settings
(development) and production settings - yet for a lot of users, DevOps is
not really supporting a full PaaS-like experience any way.

So - all of this has to be optional, which seems to rule out making it part
of the starting project template.  For sure, I've got my personal template,
and work has an on-premise template and a Cloud template as well - but the
department of developers doesn't always use these.  I find databases
containing the tables for other projects, long after the models and
migrations are gone, indicating a start by copy mode.