Hi Dave and all,

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 13:56:53 +0100
Dave Vernon <d...@springbourne-tech.com> wrote:

> More generally:
>
> I understand the value of *not* doing a bulk change in a PR, but I was
> wondering if it's OK to do a PR based purely on improved performance
> for a specific element? (I don't have one in mind, the question is
> purely 'in principle')

We are still in discussions here, but if I understand the forming
concensus correctly, it will be ok to replace older-style formatting
with f-strings if you're making changes in the code in question, and
performance-improving changes are, in principal, welcome.

However, whether the performance improvement afforded by such a change
would, on its own, justify the change -- will need to be judged on a
case-by-case basis, and my guess is that justifiable cases will be few
and far between. I believe that in most cases, string formatting is not
a major performance bottleneck.

My non-shot-calling 2-cents' worth,

        Shai.