Scott,

> As described in the drafts, the ARC stamp is applied by the
> intermediary, not the originator, so I don't think that works.

Yes, but the intermediaries had to sign their ARC seal, and thereby identify
themselves in a non-forgeable way.

> Even if it did, it's still just another variant of whitelisting, which
> is unlikely to scale very well.

ARC itself isn't whitelisting, nor a reputation system, but it allows the
recipient to build such a system based on solid identities - which is a big
step up over trying to deduce the intermediaries from the chain of (forgeable)

> Also, it could really only work for big domains. Us little guys don't
> generate enough traffic to register in the big guys reputation systems.

I think here's the key point.

By allowing greater automation and accuracy in identifying intermediaries ARC
may benefit the little guys the most - you won't as likely be lost in the noise
because the receivers will be more likely to track the reputation of each and
every ARC participant they receive from.

So when your list is the only intermediary on a message between BigSend and
BigReceive, your reputation and only your reputation will be considered in
rating the ARC results you provide. There will always be the "first time"
problem of having no reputation for the first message you forward to
BigReceive, but after that your reputation at BigReceive can be based far more
on the quality of the messages you forward than on the sheer number of them.

-- Shal