On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Roland Turner via dmarc-discuss
<dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org> wrote:
> Al Iverson wrote:
>
>> From my own perspective, I'm unclear on how well this will work. I
>> assume the chain process is based on addressing anything thrown at at
>> it; mailing list posts going through mail forwarding; ARC on both
>> would in theory keep authentication intact and prevent p=reject policy
>> rejections. But we're talking the 1% of the 1% (of the 1%?), it feels
>> like the use cases might get more and more far out.
>
> I'd suggest that what ARC solves - if it works - is the entirety of the
> problems for forwarders who are willing to cooperate but nonetheless wish to
> modify messages sufficiently to break DKIM, which remains the largest class
> of inadequately solved problems with DMARC. (Note that the current low
> fraction of p=reject mail is not hugely important; as the DMARC breakage
> cases disappear, a growing fraction of email can and will be subject to
> p=reject.)
>
> There remains one unsolved significant case, that of independent origination
> ("share this link") which, I suspect, will be permanently beyond reach for
> interoperable protocol standardisation (it depends entirely upon trust by
> receivers and not at all upon protocol mechanisms).

You get a gold star for thinking of a use case I had not considered!

"Share this link" AKA forward to a friend/FTAF/F2F. Yeah, potentially
an issue, but was already kind of an attractive nuisance when a
marketer tries to incentivize it (and thus really, really wants to
track it). If you don't care so much about tracking conversions/sales
that come after, you could probably just replace links to
"shareit.cgi" to
"mailto:friend@friend.example?subject=widget&body=check_out_this_widget.";
Then the mail starts from the initiator's MUA instead of from third
party infrastructure.

Cheers,
Al Iverson

--
Al Iverson - Minneapolis - (312) 275-0130
Simple DNS Tools since 2008: xnnd.com