My 2 cents, if we are validating an email then the services MUST cover email,
either by including '*' or 'email'. Regardless of what attachments that email
contains.

RFC8460 appears to conflict with 6376 in this regard, and with that in mind
8460 should be updated to suggest s=email:tlsrpt or s=*

Or, as you say, remove the gratuitous overkill altogether.

--

 Marc Bradshaw
marcbradshaw.net | @marcbradshaw <https://twitter.com/marcbradshaw>