On 20/05/2020 06:31, Roshan Hiripitiyage via dmarc-discuss wrote:
Can we enable DMARC just by enabling only SPF?, without DKIM? If it's possible what are the issues we will come across without DKIM?

Yes you can.

AIUI, the problem with SPF (other than misconfiguration) is that forwarding breaks it. When DMARC can use DKIM as well, then a simply forwarded message should pass the DKIM checks, but not the SPF check. That will mean that the DMARC check will still pass with forwarded messages.

It'll still fail the DMARC check if something modifies the message content (*as well* as forwarding the message), breaking the DKIM signature as well (eg a 'this message was virus scanned by ...' or mailing list modifications).

Allowing either SPF and DKIM to pass the message cuts down on the number of false positives.

--
Paul

--

Paul Smith Computer Services