In article <2e056b35-f783-dccb-b319-31c35d002...@dcrocker.net>,
Dave Crocker via dmarc-discuss <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:
>On 6/21/2020 7:57 AM, Matthäus Wander via dmarc-discuss wrote:
>> This sounds like the recipient is forwarding emails to Gmail. The DKIM
>> signature is valid because it originates from your server.
>
>Only if the forwarding process makes no changes that break the DKIM
>signature.  In theory, that's easy.  In practice, it's a very narrow
>category of forwarding behaviors that accomplish this.

It's narrow but it's pretty common these days for people to forward
their mail from other places to gmail.  A lot of my users do it.

Unfortunately I have found a dismaying number of places, particularly
in the US goverment, publish DMARC p=reject and only use SPF,
presumably because there's an official rule that they must do DMARC
and this lets them check the box without doing any work. Needless to
say, the forwards fail and I've walked most of them through the
process to pull rather than push, configuring Gmail to pick up the
mail from their local mailbox with POP.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",