On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:45 PM Matt Vernhout via dmarc-discuss <
dmarc-discuss@dmarc.org> wrote:

> With some of my recent DMARC reports for my domains I've seen comments
> about over riding the p=reject and deciding the mail should be quarantined
> vs rejected because the recipient mailbox provider thought it was
> forwarded.
>
> Would it be useful to add an additional DMARC be expanded to have a
> 'p=nomail' value so when a domain that is already publishing "v=spf1 -all"
> and has a 'p=reject' value that it really should be rejected regardless of
> what the recipient domain thinks about a mail being forwarded or not?
>
> I see that this could also be valuable for parked domains, expired domains
> and defensive domain registrations to provide additional levels of clarity
> where a recipient network is trying to make the effort to deliver email but
> due to their internal decision making are delivering mail that they
> shouldn't be.
>
> ~
> *MATT*

I think it's worth discussing but at the end of the day, a policy statement
in a DMARC record is a request to the validator/receiving domain, not a
mandate. Local policy can always override such a request. If a domain
doesn't send mail then there is no DKIM and the domain should publish a
naked -all for SPF. The other cases you raise fall into John's "I really
really mean it" category of additional extensions.

Michael Hammer