> On Jun 30, 2023, at 3:32 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 12:21 AM Jan Dušátko
> <jan=40dusatko....@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:40dusatko....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
> wrote:
>> Scott, Barry,
>> as far as I understand, SPF are historic technology,
>
> Not in any official capacity.  RFC 7208 is a Proposed Standard.  In fact, in
> IETF terms, it enjoys higher status than DMARC does right now.
>
> The status of these protocols is not under discussion.  The only question is
> whether DMARC should continue to factor SPF results into its output.

If I am reading the group right, using the suggested `auth=` tag for
explanation, it appears the editor wants the new DMARCbis default to be:

        auth=dkim

And it would required an explicit tag like;

        auth=spf,dkim

to express a desire for spf to be in the evaluation.  This offers DMARCbis
backward compatibility.   This would be the one “upgrade” change a domain would
need to make, an optional “extended behavior” to make it behave like DMARC
today.  The default behavior today is auth=spf,dkim.  DMARCbis’s default would
be auth=dkim.

I am saying it sounds like this.

Overall, imo, it is never a good idea to exerted changes on domains with bis
specs, requiring them to change their current DMARC record to reinforce the
security level they want using SPF in DMARC evaluation.

—
HLS