On Thu 14/Mar/2024 18:35:05 +0100 Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Thursday, March 14, 2024 11:27:03 AM EDT Alessandro Vesely wrote:
On Thu 14/Mar/2024 15:09:37 +0100 Todd Herr wrote:
[...]

In the ticket, I propose the following replacement text:

Because DMARC relies on SPF [[RFC7208]] and DKIM [[RFC6376], in order to take full advantage of DMARC, a Domain Owner MUST first ensure that either SPF or DKIM authentication are properly configured, and SHOULD ensure that both are.

To configure SPF for DMARC, the Domain Owner MUST choose a domain to use as the RFC5321.MailFrom domain (i.e., the Return-Path domain) for its mail that aligns with the Author Domain, and then publish an SPF policy in DNS for that domain. The SPF record MUST be constructed at a minimum to ensure an SPF pass verdict for all known sources of mail for the RFC5321.MailFrom domain.

Wouldn't you at least add "trusted", "ensure an SPF pass verdict for all known, trusted sources of mail"? To avoid mandating an insecure behavior.
Consider:

_ Hey dude, they're spoofing your domain with a tide of phishing.

_ How come?

_ You have an include:phisherman.example in your SPF.  Remove it.

_ No, since they occasionally send a true message from us, the RFC says I MUST keep it.

[...]

I think that's issue 135, not this one.

SPF it treated in multiple places. We cannot warn against a bad practice in one place (135) and recommend it unconditionally in another (132).

Best