> On Mar 14, 2024, at 4:02 PM, Todd Herr
> <todd.herr=40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 3:25 PM Hector Santos
> <hsantos=40isdg....@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:40isdg....@dmarc.ietf.org>> wrote:
>>> On Mar 14, 2024, at 10:09 AM, Todd Herr
>>> <todd.herr=40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org
>>> <mailto:40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org>> wrote:
>>> To configure SPF for DMARC, the Domain Owner MUST choose a domain to use as
>>> the RFC5321.MailFrom domain (i.e., the Return-Path domain) for its mail
>>> that aligns with the Author Domain, and then publish an SPF policy in DNS
>>> for that domain. The SPF record MUST be constructed at a minimum to ensure
>>> an SPF pass verdict for all known sources of mail for the RFC5321.MailFrom
>>> domain.
>>
>> A major consideration, Todd, is receivers will process SPF for SPF without
>> DMARC (payload) considerations.  IOW, if SPF is a hardfail, we have SMTP
>> processors who will not continue to transmit a payload (DATA).
>>
>> DMARCBis is making a major design presumption receivers will only use SPF as
>> a data point for a final DMARC evaluation where a potentially high overhead
>> payload was transmitted only to be rejected anyway,
>
> I don't necessarily think your assertion is true here, or at least I'd submit
> that DMARCbis and RFC 7489 aren't approaching this subject any differently.
>
> Section 10.1 from RFC 7489, titled "Issues Specific to SPF" had two
> paragraphs, the second of which reads:
>
>    Some receiver architectures might implement SPF in advance of any
>    DMARC operations.  This means that a "-" prefix on a sender's SPF
>    mechanism, such as "-all", could cause that rejection to go into
>    effect early in handling, causing message rejection before any DMARC
>    processing takes place.  Operators choosing to use "-all" should be
>    aware of this.

Yes, I agree.  I am only reminding the community SPF can preempt DMARC with a
restrictive hardfail policy.   Does DMARCBis integrate the tag to delay SPF
failures?

> DMARCbis contains the same two paragraphs with no change to the text, other
> than the section is now numbered 8.1.
>

>>> In the ticket, I propose the following new text:

>>> To configure DKIM for DMARC, the Domain Owner MUST choose a DKIM-Signing
>>> domain (i.e., the d= domain in the DKIM-Signature header) that aligns with
>>> the Author Domain.
>>
>> In order to maximize security, the Domain Owner is REQUIRED to choose a …..
>>
>> Is REQUIRED the same as MUST?   I think SHOULD or MUST is fine as long as we
>> specify the reason it is required,
>
> I'm not understanding the comment you're making here, as I don't see the word
> "REQUIRED" in anything I wrote.

For any protocol, there are “Protocol Requirements,”   A MUST or SHOULD is a
“Requirement” for proper support,  So I just wanted to just note that it can
stated another way.  Developers need a Requirements Section that allow us to
code the logic,

Its getting pretty confusing for implementors.

—
HLS