On 2023-07-20 5:31 pm, deano-dove...@areyes.com wrote:
     On 2023-07-19 4:08 pm, Gerald Galster wrote:
                         A 50-100 mailbox user server
                         will run Dovecot CE just
                         fine. Pro would be overkill.
                    What is overkill? I always thought it
                    had a bit more features and support.
               For Pro 2.3, you need (at minimum) 7 Dovecot
               nodes + HA authentication + HA storage +
               (minimum) 3 Cassandra nodes if using object
               storage. This is per site; most of our customers
               require data center redundancy as well, so
               multiply as needed. And this is only email
               retrieval; this doesn't even begin to touch upon
               email transfer. Email high availability isn't
               cheap. (I would argue that if you truly need this
               sort of carrier-grade HA for 50 users, it makes
               much more sense to use email as-a-service than
               trying to do it yourself these days. Unless you
               have very specific reasons and a ton of cash.)
          High availability currently is cheap with a small two
          server setup:
          You need 3 servers or virtual machines: dovecot (and maybe
          postfix) running on two of them and mysql galera on all
          three.
          This provides very affordable active/active geo-redundancy.

          No offence, it's just a pity to see that feature
          disappering.
     That's exactly how my own 3-node personal setup works.  I shove all I
     can into mariadb with galera (dovecot auth, spamassassin, etc) across
     the 3 nodes.  Dovecot replication keeps the 2 dovecot instances in
     sync, the 3rd node is the quorum node for galera.
     This is is on 3 cheap VPS' in 3 locations around the US.  Mesh VPN
     between them for the encrypted connectivity.  It works, and it works
     well.
     And now replication is going away ?  A perfectly-well working feature
     is being removed ??  It's not as if it's a problematic one, nor would
     it interfere with anything if it remained ...
     I only see a couple of routes forward, at least for me.
         * Stay on the last dovecot release that supports replication.
         * Switch away from dovecot and cobble something else together.
         * Move to gmail <shudder>
     The removal of replication feels very arbitrary.
At what version is replication being removed ?  2.4 I think ?  Or, perhaps the
question is which is the last version that WILL still have replication ?
For now I'll be going with option 1 above, staying with the last version to
support it.  Sad.