From: Paul Kudla [mailto:p...@scom.ca]
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2023 8:28 AM
To: dovecot@dovecot.org
Subject: Re: Anyone Watching Actvity from this network? Attempting Dovecot
Buffer Overflows?

Good day to all .....

Just adding to the conversation with how I had to deal with this years ago.

Basically hacks to any server are an issue today but it is cat & mouse
trying to track all of this.

That being said using the reported ip address below, I patched postfix
to log the ip address in one syslog pass (to id the sasl user account +
ip etc)

Along with the above dovecot logging is verbose (dovecot already does
all access in one line - ie ip address, username (email address) etc)

combining the two I run my own ip address firewall tracking system based
on the syslogging in real time.

For Example :

# ipinfo 104.156.155.21

IP Status for                   : 104.156.155.21

IP Status : IPv4
NS Lookup (Forward)             : 104.156.155.21
NS Lookup (Reverse)             : None

IP Blacklisted Status           : Found 104.156.155. for 104.156.155.21
[D] {Asterisk}
Last Program                    : sshd

Ip Location Info for            : 104.156.155.21

No Ip Information Found

(ie ip location lookup failed / does not exist for this ip ?)

basically the ip address block was found in my firewall so something,
someone etc has tried to hack one of my servers

in the case of scom.ca i run an asterisk server and since the asterisk
is noted someone tried hacking that one as well.

Basically i run a database that tracks and updates all firewall in real
time.

Running FreeBSD I use PF and asterisk is linux based so i use the
iptables and update every 10 minutes.

Only time now a days I get involved if a customer calls and complains
they are not getting emails etc ...

That happens a few times a year.

Again just an FYI

This reply was more to indicate all email servers (and anything attached
to the internet) really need to run some sort of automated ip firewall
when username password hacks occur, no reverse ip address etc etc etc

Food for thought.

Have A Happy Thursday !!!

Thanks - Paul Kudla (Manager SCOM.CA Internet Services Inc.)

Scom.ca Internet Services <http://www.scom.ca>
004-1009 Byron Street South
Whitby, Ontario - Canada
L1N 4S3