> > > renaming
> indices)?
> > > >

> > > Dovecot is, if you use LAYOUT=index. This will use only mailbox GUID
> on
> > > disk, and the folder name is only in indexes (both list index and
> mailbox
> > > index for recovery purposes).
> > >
> > > I would recommend using 2.3.21 with LAYOUT=index to avoid problems.
> > >

> > So you can just add this to an existing configuration, without the need
> to do anything? Like eg reindex or so? I always had the impression this
> affects how messages are stored.
> >
> > mail_location = mdbox:xxxxxx:INDEX=xxxxxx:CONTROL=/xxxxxxx
> > becomes:
> > mail_location = mdbox:xxxxxx:INDEX=xxxxxx:CONTROL=/xxxxxxx:LAYOUT:index
> >
> > Does this really speed things up?
> >

> You can't put it on existing setup just like that, you need to do storage
> format migration, or copy all the folders into their GUID folders when
> you do this.
>
> It will speed things up and will also allow you to use almost anything as
> mailbox name.

I was in the process of setting up new server, it already had a few test
mailboxes on it.

why do you mention this specific version 2.3.21? el9 still is at 2.3.16.

So if I add the LAYOUT:index to mail_location for my mdbox setup, it only
renames Drafts,INBOX,Junk etc to some uuid (I guess)?

├── mdbox
│   ├── dbox-alt-root
│   ├── mailboxes
│   │   ├── Drafts
│   │   │   └── dbox-Mails
│   │   ├── INBOX
│   │   │   ├── dbox-Mails
│   │   │   └── test
│   │   │       └── dbox-Mails
│   │   ├── Junk
│   │   │   └── dbox-Mails
│   │   ├── NotSpam
│   │   │   └── dbox-Mails
│   │   ├── Sent
│   │   │   └── dbox-Mails
│   │   └── Trash
│   │       └── dbox-Mails
│   └── storage

This server is offline any way. What would be the easiest way to do this
migration? Something I can do directly on this server?