On Sunday 29 November 2009 07:07:41 Robert Noland wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-28 at 20:40 -0800, vehemens wrote:

> > > Because unpublished work doesn't exist.... That goes for the work that
> > > I've done that isn't yet published as well.  Until it is in the hands
> > > of someone besides yourself it is irrelevant.
> >
> > Thats the whole point of having a public respository.  How else can one
> > publish?
>
> Again, there is nothing that prevents you from publishing your version
> of the drm repo, though I don't see the point.

Your missing the point of using a development structure which supports
collobration.

> > > I'm not sure which issue you are referring to right now.  But if you
> > > mean trying to backport the work of Intel, ATI/AMD and nouveau into a
> > > repository that all of the above have now abandoned, none who currently
> > > have commit to the drm repo are willing or able to take on that task.
> > >
> > > Did you miss my plea's, rants and attempts to make valid arguments not
> > > to reorganize/abandon drm in the first place?  Unfortunately, we lost
> > > that battle.  It only served to increase the complexity and workload
> > > that I am faced with.  However, since every major vendor has now pulled
> > > out and maintains a private linux repo for their code, the code that
> > > lived in drm git was stale, and not terribly useful for anything other
> > > than historical purposes.
> >
> > First you say abandoning the respository increased your workload, then
> > you say it wasn't useful.  Which is it?
>
> What increased my workload was having to go and try and pull changes
> from several different linux trees and try to incorporate that into some
> usable code base.  Now, that the repo has been abandoned it is no longer
> useful.  If vendors were still committing to the repo, we wouldn't be
> having this debate.
>
> > > If you are referring to the patches/diffs that you have sent me, then I
> > > have always appreciated the work that you have done.  The last batch of
> > > stuff that you sent me, however was quite a mess.  While there was some
> > > nice cleanup in it, it also contained at least some reversions of code
> > > specifically changed for FreeBSD.  Even more of a problem than that was
> > > that what you sent me at the time was one big jumble and in no way
> > > represented a coherent set of patches that I could apply and commit to
> > > any repo.  You did state at the time, that it was WIP, so perhaps you
> > > have a more coherent patch set now.  I should have provided you with
> > > direct feedback when you sent me that work and for that I do
> > > appologize.
> >
> > The WIP was sent to you because you had stalled on DRM development and
> > didn't seem to moving forward.
>
> If you mean that I stopped committing to drm git, then yes... If I
> already have to go and collect and merge changes from all the linux
> repos, then it is just easier to commit it directly to FreeBSD, rather
> than do all the work to try and put that into drm git first.

The difference is that you are the only one doing the work now.

> > I'm surprized that you didn't understand the changes as they were fairly
> > stright forward.
>
> I understood it fine... There was some good cleanup in it, as well as
> some regressions, but it wasn't in a form that I could easily separate
> the good from the bad.  It did not contain anything that impacted drm
> functionality as I recall.

Again it sounds like you did not understand the changes.

> > > This is IMHO, the good and bad of git.  There is nothing that prevents
> > > you from taking your existing drm git and branching it prior to the
> > > removal of the code and publishing that on some other server.  I would
> > > truly hope that it isn't your intent to try to provide an alternate
> > > FreeBSD drm build, though there is nothing to prevent it.
> >
> > The point is that you have been unable to move development forward.  I
> > never intended to provide an alternate FreeBSD drm build.
>
> The only stall is on GEM/TTM, which I am working on, but I am only one
> person and this won't be solved by just incorporating white-space
> changes and renaming defines.  It requires a fairly in depth knowlege of
> the FreeBSD vm system and so it is slow work.  If you are prepared to
> offer actual code, then please send me diffs...

Again, your missing the point of using a development structure which supports
collobration.

> > > Who would be contributing to this repo besides yourself?  And who would
> > > be the consumer?
> >
> > Don't be stupid.  You know that the FreeeBSD would be the consumer.
>
> The code that we are shipping in FreeBSD has moved well beyond what was
> in drm git.  I don't get why you insist on continuing to beat a dead
> horse and won't just send me patches to the FreeBSD src tree.  It is
> easy enough to manage with either svn or git.  I personally find a git
> copy of the repo easier to manage for my development since it allows me
> to batch up several commits before committing those to the src tree,
> however, if you care to discuss that, we should probably move to a
> private thread.

It hasn't moved "... well beyond what was in drm git."   If you believe
otherwise, your only fooling yourself.

> > > For good or bad, the responsibility for drm in FreeBSD lands entirely
> > > on my head.  I'm happy to review and accept patches based on the
> > > FreeBSD source tree, or at least in the form of something that I can
> > > apply with patch.  As long as they are discrete patches that I can work
> > > with, I'll be more than happy to accept them if they make sense.  If it
> > > is as much work for me to turn the patch into something that I can
> > > commit as it would have been for me to do the work from scratch, it
> > > will likely fall on the pile of stuff that will never see the light of
> > > day.
> >
> > Thanks for the feedback, I now have a better understanding where the
> > problem lies with BSD development.
>
> If you want to contribute, then it is really pretty simple.  Just
> provide me with coherent patches based on the src repo.  I fail to see
> the difficulty here.  The benefit of drm git was that it was a shared
> repo between multiple OS and so all benefited from the work that went on
> there.  Using drm git as an intermediate dumping ground for changes to
> FreeBSD, only makes more work.

See above comments.