On Sunday 29 November 2009 15:36:51 Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> On Sunday 29 November 2009 18:54:31 vehemens wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 November 2009 14:23:44 Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> > > On Sunday 29 November 2009 14:16:13 vehemens wrote:
> > >
> > > [snip]

> > > [snip]

> > > [snip]

> > > [snip]

> > > [snip]

> > > Yes, you have made it abundantly clear that you are in favor of having
> > > a centralized repository for all DRM development.  The fact is, that's
> > > not happening now and is not going to happen.  That used to be the
> > > case, but the linux DRM developers did not see an advantage to that for
> > > themselves, and though rnoland was unhappy with the decision (because
> > > it made his job harder), the linux DRM developers did what they felt
> > > was best.
> >
> > You assuming what what good for Linux for a developer, is also good for a
> > BSD developer.  As for making rnoland's job harder, it was his choice.
>
> Nice try, but I am making no such assumptions.  It was not rnoland's choice
> to stop having the linux DRM developers stop using a centralized repository
> for all DRM code.  He was quite clearly opposed to it and did not consider
> it a good choice.

You missing the point as is rnoland.  Just because the linux DRM  developers
stopped using a centralized repository, didn't mean FreeBSD shouldn't as the
intial integration work would be still shared reducing the burden on any one
person.  The approach taken by rnoland however was to shift all the work to
himself.

> > > Since then, rnoland has made significant progress porting the linux
> > > specific changes over to FreeBSD.   If you don't believe the changes
> > > he's made in the FreeBSD source tree go 'well beyond' what had been in
> > > mesa/drm on freedesktop git then you are fooling yourself.  Frankly, if
> > > I were Robert, I would be offended by that statement you made.
> >
> > I've diffed the code.  Suggest that you do the same and see if you can
> > still make the same statements.
>
> r6xx/r7xx DRM code, alone, pushes FreeBSD DRM "well beyond" what was in
> mesa/drm on freedesktop.

As for FreeBSD r6xx/r7xx DRM, here's an email on the subject which is how I
remember the events.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2009-February/007624.html