On 2022-06-25 7:49 am, James Miller wrote:
I set up a small low-resource VPS a few years ago to use mainly as a
light-use xmpp server. I got Dropbear operating there so I could admin
it. Dropbear seemed a good choice since system resources were so
anemic. I recall it being quite challenging to get key-pair
authentication to finally work there, though I can't recall many
details about how I finally succeeded.

Most likely would be OpenSSH requiring sha2 for RSA signatures. If you can use
ecdsa keys instead those should work OK.

Alternatively to keep using RSA, set

    Host old-host
        HostkeyAlgorithms +ssh-rsa
        PubkeyAcceptedAlgorithms +ssh-rsa

in your .ssh/config for the client which will allow the older sha1 RSA signatures. Which OpenSSH version is it? https://www.openssh.com/releasenotes.html has details
of what has been deprecated.

Matt

The VPS runs Ubuntu 16.04 (EMS), so the version of Dropbear there is a
bit outdated (v2017.75). Since that release was made, various changes
have happened to openssh that may, I assume, make it incompatible with
this version of Dropbear. I am using ssh when I try to connect to the
VPS, btw.