I set up a small low-resource VPS a few years ago to use mainly as a light-use xmpp server. I got Dropbear operating there so I could admin it. Dropbear seemed a good choice since system resources were so anemic. I recall it being quite challenging to get key-pair authentication to finally work there, though I can't recall many details about how I finally succeeded.

Sometime during the interval after I set that up, key-pair authentication has stopped working again. So I've had to re-enable username/password authentication. I'm now trying to determine why it happened that the key-pair authentication stopped working and am hoping I can somehow re-enable it.

The VPS runs Ubuntu 16.04 (EMS), so the version of Dropbear there is a bit outdated (v2017.75). Since that release was made, various changes have happened to openssh that may, I assume, make it incompatible with this version of Dropbear. I am using ssh when I try to connect to the VPS, btw.

So I'd like to start off by just asking whether the challenges I am encountering as I try to re-enable key-pair authentication are likely related to the version mismatch between the Dropbear I have installed on the VPS and the much more current version of openssh I have on the home computer from which I'm trying to connect?

Input on that question will be appreciated. If it seems unreasonable to expect modern versions of openssh to interoperate with a Dropbear server dating to 2017, I will need to just give up on it and seek some other solution.

Thank you