Hi Rupinder,

We have instructions/examples for an Apache Reverse Proxy in our
Installation Guide for DSpace 7.

   - For a reverse proxy for the backend (REST API), see step 17
   (Production Installation)
   here:
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Installing+DSpace#InstallingDSpace-BackendInstallation

   See the VirtualHost example settings in that step for example ProxyPass /
   ProxyPassReverse settings which will proxy from any domain name to a Tomcat.
   - For a reverse proxy for the frontend (UI), see step 8 (Add HTTPS
   Support)
   here:
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Installing+DSpace#InstallingDSpace-FrontendInstallation

    Again, there are example ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse settings

The examples ProxyPass / ProxyPassReverse settings in those areas of the
docs *do use* localhost, as sites may choose to run their Apache (Proxy)
and Tomcat / PM2 on the same machine (in which case localhost URLs is the
best way to go).  However, you obviously can replace the "localhost" with
an IP address if Tomcat / PM2 are running on a different server.  Those
settings are just meant to be examples, as different institutions may
choose different approaches.

As for the 500 error, we have a guide for common installation issues at the
bottom of the install
instructions:
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Installing+DSpace#InstallingDSpace-FrontendInstallation

  In most cases that 500 error is a sign that this "No _links section found
at..." error is
occurring:
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Installing+DSpace#InstallingDSpace-%22No_linkssectionfoundat...%22errorfromUserInterface

 There are a number of suggestions of possible causes (and solutions) in
that section.

If you haven't found it already, our Troubleshooting guide provides ways to
find these detailed error messages in the UI or REST
API:
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/Troubleshoot+an+error#Troubleshootanerror-DSpace7.x(orabove)

 Finding the detailed error makes it easier to determine if it is one of
the ones that is documented in the "Common Installation Issues" or perhaps
if it's something answered on this tech support list.

Tim