We welcome contributed abstracts to our session at this year’s Fall AGU
Meeting in San Francisco:

BO55: New insights and approaches for recent dating of peat and aquatic
sediments

*Session ID#: *12833

*Session Description:*

Establishing chronologies of peats and sediments on a 102-year (recent)
timescale is important for quantifying processes such as carbon
sequestration, vertical accretion, and changes in contaminant loading in a
range of wetland and aquatic ecosystems.  Determining uncertainties in
dating is key to achieving good estimates, yet, of the many
approaches available (i.e.,137Cs, 210Pb, 14C wiggle-matching, fly ash,
tephra, organic and inorganic pollutant time markers, 241Am, 207Bi, pollen,
etc.), few routinely incorporate error analyses.  For this session, we are
interested in assessing uncertainties in recent dating methods and
identifying conditions under which a particular technique works best, fails
or has high uncertainties and why.  We welcome papers emphasizing (1) new
or adapted empirical models, which improve dating accuracy, (2) protocols
for better quantifying uncertainties, (3) factors/processes that affect
vertical profiles of radionuclide tracers, and/or (4) field studies in
which unusual patterns have led to new insights in dating.

*Primary Convener:  Judith Z Drexler*, USGS California Water Science Center
Sacramento, Sacramento, CA, United States

*Conveners:  Christopher Fuller*, USGS Western Regional Offices Menlo Park,
Menlo Park, CA, United States and *Mark M Baskaran*, Wayne State
University, Detroit, MI, United States

*Co-Organized with: Biogeosciences*, Hydrology, and Ocean Sciences

https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session12833

We look forward to seeing you there!