Hi all,
I setup a K3, that my godfather is borrowing, while his Kenwood is off the air.
I reviewed the webpage on the Heil Sound website here:
https://heilsound.com/heil-amateur-radio/support/dsp-settings/all-things-elecraft/
  Unfortunately, the page refers to the mic with regard to the front panel
setting, but does not specifically refer to the mic model with respect to the
mic gain and mic bias settings. I sent an email to Heil Sound suggesting that
the missing detail be added for this particular mic. But thought I'd ask here,
in case anyone knew the answer. I deduced that the setting should be Front
Panel, Low, No Bias, but am not 100% sure about that!
Here's the strange part about this story. I did have a QSO with a station in
North Dakota after setting up the rig, so we knew all was working. We shut off
the rig and I left for home. Later in the evening, my godfather turned the K3
on and tried to transmit, but noticed that he wasn't getting any moving bars
with the transmit audio. I walked him through putting the K3 into test mode,
turning down the mic gain, and then turning up the mic gain while he was
transmitting to find the optimum level, but we couldn't get the meter to show
any response to the audio. I did the same procedure on my own K3 to make sure I
was talking him through the right steps and it worked fine on mine. He did try
a Heil headset with the same results. I plan to try and get up to visit again
this weekend and bring a hand mic with me to try and make sure that it is
definitely the K3 and not the mic.
So unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems like there is an issue with
the K3 itself. Unfortunately, Elecraft support couldn't go beyond the same
tests that I did last night.
Does anyone have any suggestions short of shipping to, or dropping off the rig,
at Elecraft for a thorough test?
Thanks, Steve  KG6HJU