John,

Try backing down the MIC Gain setting to something low or mid-range.
If you get the mic voltage too high, the mic amplifier detects that and inserts attenuation that will shut the audio from the mic down.

So bottom line, start with a low MIC Gain setting and increase it until you see 5 to 7 bars on the ALC meter.

73,
Don W3FPR