From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of John H Farmer
Sent: Sunday, October 8, 2017 1:00 AM
To: donw...@embarqmail.com; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] KX3 SSB ALC Mic Gain - a new problem

Dear Don & Group,

Thanks for your suggestions.  After some more exploration, I think the
problem is the MH3 and here's why:

Backing down the mic gain didn't help and neither did a firmware reload.  I
was suspicious of the MH3 being at fault, as the ALC / Mic gain adjustment
remained perfectly consistent and reliable in data modes.
I then remembered I had a Yamaha CM500 headset lying in a drawer. I made an
adapter (thanks Walter, K6WRU for your very helpful and clear webpage
describing the adapter cable) I plugged it into the KX3 mic socket and lo
and behold, the KX3 plays perfectly with it - the ALC shows 5-7 bars with a
mic gain of 35-37 and I get the expected RF output, which is exactly how it
used to be with the MH3.

I took the MH3 apart and mechanically it all looks sound, no loose wires or
dry joints, and I checked that there is indeed a bias voltage on the mic + (
tip) wire at the microphone.  There's not much to go wrong in there, so I
wonder if the electret element has died.

I'll order a replacement MH3, because even though the CM500 headset works
well, I like using the handmic and I've always had good audio reports using
it.

Thanks everyone for your interest.

73,

John