Hi Doug,

I've been doing CW contests with the K3 for nearly 11 years now.  After
using an early release of the K4 firmware, which should only improve over
time, I'm convinced that the K4 far outperforms the K3 in CW pileup
scenarios, mainly due to much improved audio performance.  I predict other
Field Testers will come to the same conclusion, but I'll let them speak for
themselves.

Wayne can explain technically why this is the case (the K4 DAC hardware and
CPU is 11 years newer and faster of course), but all I can ask is to listen
closely to the first recording I posted
<https://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/Pileup_Audio_on_K4D_Field_Test_N6TV.mp3>.
Please ignore the RFI artifacts during transmissions, and just listen to
the callers, preferably with headphones and a good PC sound card, not a
phone or tablet.  Try to pick out a callsign from the pile.  Then rewind
and try to pick out the *other* callsign.  I think you'll be able to get a
partial or full callsign almost every time, assuming normal hearing and
"contester ears," even though the stations are quite close to each other.
In a K3, under similar conditions, I would often hear annoying "beat notes"
or "buzzes" (audio distortion) with as few as two callers in the passband.
I have yet to hear that in the K4, though of course I've only used it for 6
hours of contesting.

But I've heard enough to place an order for a 2nd K4, mainly so that I can
do SO2R with two identical radios.

Disclosure:  I am not paid or employed by Elecraft, I have never worked
there, and I receive no compensation from the company beyond a small
discount on the price paid for an early Field Test Unit, and the chance to
play and provide direct feedback to the company before the general
release.  Fun stuff (and more work than you might think).

73,
Bob, N6TV