On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 7:03 AM Joe DeVincentis <j...@ko8v.net> wrote:

> Personally, I'd like to see the K4 support something like the TinyFSK
> protocol for doing RTTY.

There's really no urgent reason to do this once the KY host command is
improved to allow message stacking with interrupt capability.  If you want
to use TinyFSK (which has its own problems), connect a Mortty to the K4 ACC
port, same as you would on a K3.  If you don't want to solder your own
DE-15 connector, or if your ACC port is already occupied, use a Y-BOX
<https://bit.ly/Y-BOX> plus 3.5mm stereo to dual RCA cable to connect
Mortty to K3 or K4.  I have a few of both still in stock.  It will take a
few weeks to order more boards if there is sufficient demand.

It could present multiple serial ports.  one for CAT, one for FSK and one
> for Keying.

This is already in plan.  The K4 provides two virtual serial ports via the
USB cable (FTDI), one legacy 9-pin serial port, plus the 15-pin ACC port.
Any of them may be used for FSK keying, PTT, and CW keying, using MMTTY or
your logging software.  This is keying via TXD, DTR, or RTS pins, with no
external hardware required (unless using ACC pins).  EXTFSK will be
required on the virtual serial ports.  The 9-pin legacy port will not
require EXTFSK if your PC serial port or USB-to-Serial adapter doesn't
require it (example:  Edgeport/4).

  The FSK could emulate tinyFSK and the keyer could emulate the K1EL
> keyers.   That way programs don't need to fight over who gets the serial
> ports.

There will be no more fights over the serial port because the K4 has more
than one, and they will operate independently and in parallel (unlike
Icom rigs, which provide one and only one virtual serial port pin at a time
for PTT keying).

TinyFSK has a problem.  Using it with MMTTY and a Mortty, try the "send
RYRYRY... forever" macro while using TinyFSK.FSK.  Hear the problem?  It
hesitates every 32 characters or so.  So its timing is not as "perfect" as
claimed, at least not with that configuration.

While I despise the following phrase as a SW guy (specifically embedded
> real time operating systems):  Hey, it's just S/W.  I can see this as very
> doable in the K4 given what I know about the architecture to date..  Much
> harder in the K3s.

As a software guy, you can appreciate that it is impossible to perfectly
emulate someone else's code (or chip) if you have no access to the source
code, and only work from the external API.  Lots of devices have attempted
to emulate the WinKey interface, but none of them are 100% compatible with
the chip.  This includes RemoteRig boxes, the YCCC SO2R Box, the Mortty,
etc.  None of them will pass the WKTEST program (
https://www.hamcrafters2.com/WKTESTX.html), last time I tried.  The
RemoteRig emulator works OK with N1MM+, but not with Win-Test or DXLog.net
(unless you select a unique option).  These programs all use the WinKey
chip differently.  They work fine with a real chip not with the emulators.
The only devices that pass the WinKey 100% compatibility tests are devices
that use a real WinKey chip inside, such as those provided by the microHAM
devices.

Retooling the K4 to put a real WinKey chip or Mortty hardware inside, or
attempting emulation via firmware, could delay K4 shipment or distract from
other higher priority issues.  It could also raise the price a bit.  I
don't think anyone wants to see either.

Finally, there's no reason for Elecraft to try to take sales opportunities
away from the manufacturers of WinKey and Mortty devices, is there?

73,
Bob, N6TV
https://bit.ly/Y-BOX