of course that we need to take care of many things, very good grounding,
gas arrestors, single antenna grounding panel, etc, etc

but, after my bad experience, I expect that a expensive product that is
designed, in many cases, to be installed remotely, has been, for example on
the USB connector, built with an industrial USB to USB isolator, and not
just a cheap printer´s USB connector

73,
Jorge
CX6VM/CW5W

El sáb, 4 may 2024 a las 13:37, G4GNX (<g4...@g4gnx.com>) escribió:

> I don’t think you can expect Elecraft to take care of any safety issues,
> especially with lightning.
>
> You could install a remote camera to keep an eye on things, along with
> smoke detectors and some form of extinguisher, such as those now available
> for 3D printers.
> To protect from lightning, you’d need to install antenna switches which
> can be controlled either automatically or remotely.
> You also need to install lightning arrestors.
> Of course all of this won’t prevent damage if you get a direct strike.
> To internally protect a K4 or any other Elecraft product is just downright
> impossible.
> “Acts of God” are just what they are and mostly out of our control.
>
> 73,
> Alan - G4GNX
> South Coast UK
> Elecraft K4D / KPA500 / KAT500 / IC-9700
>

> > On 4 May 2024, at 17:10, Jorge Diez - CX6VM <cx6vm.jo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Wayne
> >
> > What worries me is having a very expensive device like a K4 connected in
> > remote place, to the antennas, power and internet
> >
> > How to avoid damage to the equipment?
> >
> > Last week I experienced a lightning strike and the I/O module of my
> KPA1500
> > was damaged, what has Elecraft thought to ensure that the equipment is
> not
> > damaged?
> >
> > With the remote K3, what was connected to the network was the remoterig,
> > with the K4 what is connected to the network is a device worth more than
> > 6000 dollars
> >
> > So, since the I/O module does not have sufficient protections, what is
> > Elecraft's recommendation to protect them?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Jorge
> > CX6VM/CW5W

> Message delivered to cx6vm.jo...@gmail.com