Title: Re: [enterasys] Vlan configuration issue. & Default GW

Hi Fransisco,

Thanks for your suggestions - yes, I know the B3s don't do routing.

I am trying to get it routing working on the central C3 switch.

When I first worked on the problem, I was using a sniffer to monitor the traffic, and plugging into various ports on the different VLANs.

On each VLAN I used the C3 switch as the default GW, and routing between VLANs was working perfectly fine, but as soon as I started to include Internet addresses the traffic stopped on the C3 switch (No arp requests were sent out, or any routing/traffic to the default GW.

The immediate problem obviously had to be that there was no default route set.

This was a couple of months ago now, and someone has suggested I set the default route on the router by using

"ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (gateway address)"

I think I've already tried this, but I will give it a go again now that it has been suggested.

Kind regards,

Kim Pedersen
CNCS Ltd.

Francisco Garcia Alvarez wrote:

Hi Kim:

>From the info you mention, I don't get clear if you are sure that the default route isn't working for the B3's. I mean, have you tried to sniff packets at the firewall internal segment to see if the data is getting there? Have you checked the fw logs? Another thing that you can try to rule out any issue w the fw is putting any switch or router on the same internal segment of the fw and pointing the default route to that device and see if the packets go the device. One good example, to check if the data goes the way it should is to ping anything within the range of the default route; if the packets are routed correctly, you should go to the arp table of that B3 switch and see the mac address of the router/switch or fw that manages the route to get to that destination.

If it works, then the conf is correct and maybe the issue is with firewall.
Francisco J Gar�����Álvarez
   Administrador Redes
   Director��a Infor���tica
   Rama Judicial Puerto Rico