On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 10:22, Troy Dawson <tdaw...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 8:12 PM Orion Poplawski <or...@nwra.com> wrote:
>
>> While working on EPEL9, it seems that even more packages are missing
>> from RHEL9 than were in RHEL8.  The latest I found was cppunit, which
>> appears to be completely missing from the CS9 repos despite having been
>> built (See
>> https://kojihub.stream.centos.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=2414) and
>> presumably in the CS9/RHEL9 buildroot.
>>
>> So I scraped some screens from pkgs.org:
>>
>> Stream 9:
>>
>> CentOS AppStream Official   x86_64 8882
>> CentOS BaseOS Official      x86_64 2357
>> CentOS CRB Official         x86_64 1856
>>
>> Stream 8:
>>
>> CentOS AppStream Official   x86_64 15008
>> CentOS BaseOS Official      x86_64 6721
>> CentOS PowerTools Official  x86_64 3771
>>

> Sorry, but those numbers are wrong for a comparison.
> There are not 15,000 unique packages in AppStream, not even close.
> What I believe you, or they, are counting is the total number of packages
> released.
> So, if the kernel has been released 15 times since Stream 8 started, then
> it's counted as 15.
> Because of that, it's natural for the numbers to be bigger, because Stream
> 8 has been out longer.
>
> If you want the numbers, I can get them.
> Last time I checked, RHEL9 was very close to the same number of packages
> as RHEL8.
> It was more, but very close to the same number.

I mirrored the source rpms down and did the following for 8 and 9-stream.
```
$ for i in AppStream BaseOS PowerTools; do echo $i; find ./$i -type f -name
"*src.rpm" | xargs rpm --nosignature --qf='%{NAME}\n' -qp > /tmp/a-$i; sort
-o /tmp/a-$i -u /tmp/a-$i; done
$ sort -o /tmp/a -u /tmp/a-* ; sort -o /tmp/b -u /tmp/b-*
$ wc -l /tmp/a* /tmp/b*
  2652 /tmp/a
  1740 /tmp/a-AppStream
   536 /tmp/a-BaseOS
   503 /tmp/a-PowerTools
  2273 /tmp/b
  1620 /tmp/b-AppStream
   399 /tmp/b-BaseOS
   295 /tmp/b-CRB
$ comm -1 -2 /tmp/a /tmp/b | wc -l
2090
$ comm -1 -3 /tmp/a /tmp/b | wc -l
183
$ comm -2 -3 /tmp/a /tmp/b | wc -l
562
```
So 183 packages were added to 9 that weren't in 8 and 562 packages were
'removed'. Some of those are obsolete packages like
python2, python36,python38, gcc-toolset-9, gcc-toolset-10, autoconf213.
Others are module things which aren't shipped already. That leaves about
500 source packages which aren't even built internally so aren't going into
CRB.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.