    > Yes and thanks for responding.  That is I think exactly what's needed and
I have taken a shot at implementing it.  [I'm glad my previous attached patch
got filtered, I was a bit careless.]  Here's a summary of what I've done:
    > ess-custom.el: extract prefix using cygpath, set to nil if error (i.e.,
no cygpath command indicates not in Cygwin)

Just to be sure: So all these changes in your patch are
guaranteed to *not* change the path / file-paths  anywhere
*unless* our emacs & ESS run on an Windows Cygwin  platform?

Martin